Monday, January 10, 2011

Coney Island is for Lovers


Lola Star (http://lolastaar.wordpress.com/2011/01/08/calling-all-coney-island-lovebirds/) invites everyone to submit a story about love in Coney Island. A gift certificate will reward the most romantic story, and all who submit are entitled to receive a free tote bag.

I do not for a moment think this is the most romantic story, but it is sort of sweet. I'm not with the guy any more, and I could tell Coney Island stories about almost every significant relationship of my life, but this entry reflects a story I've always wanted to write.

We met at the Siren Festival. I thought he was laid-back, turned out he was just hung-over. David Johansen hugged Sylvain Sylvain, and I wondered aloud if we were the only ones in the crowd who remembered Max’s and Johnny Thunders. I used to go out with Cookie Mueller he replied, which I thought at the time was amazing because I had a huge girl crush on Cookie back then. Turned out he talked about her all the time.
You can’t put your arms around a memory, David sang, as we exchanged contact information. We’ve gotta stay connected, he said. Not too many of us left. He offered me a ride back to the city on his Harley, but I declined, as I was wearing shorts and flip-flops. The next week, he came down from his place upstate and we rode to Cape Cod. The following winter, I quit my job and we put around 10,000 miles on his truck and bike, trailing/riding it around the country. We continued our road trips, but we always went back to Coney Island. Even though we’re not together any more, he calls as soon as the weather turns mild and says We gotta take a cruise out to the boardwalk. I always agree, but we haven’t done it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment